Sector: Financial Services / FinTech
Position: Database Engineer
Reports to: Software Team Lead / Senior Database Engineer
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Experience: 1 – 6 years database programming experience
Paga is solving the “use of cash” problem in emerging markets. Over 2 billion people find it difficult to transfer or leverage money for basic human needs. This leads to the use of cash across most of the world with 90% of transactions in emerging markets performed using cash. Our focus is to digitize cash by building an ecosystem that enables people to digitally send and receive money and delivers inclusive financial services. In all our markets, we take a partnership model in working with local banks and financial institutions.
Our purpose is to make it simple for one billion people to access and use money.
Our strategic intent is to scale an emerging markets payments powerhouse by focusing on large countries where the problems we seek to solve exist. Our first market has been Nigeria where we are the leading mobile money operator. Currently in Nigeria, Paga has a market of 200m people, 53% of whom are under the age of 33. In this, the largest economy in Africa at $405bn, only 36% of adults are banked. The statistics show, however, that 60m people are unbanked while 70m are online – suggesting that the mobile money/mobile fintech environment is poised for exponential growth.
Paga offers a consumer mobile wallet that works on any type of phone – smartphones and feature phones – and any internet enabled device. The Paga wallet is similar to PayPal/Venmo/Alipay - the consumer can link her/his bank accounts or cards or save cash in the wallet. Consumers can then use Paga for a variety of use cases – P2P money transfers, bill payments, paying merchants online or in-store etc. Customers can also access financial services from partner banks and financial institutions on Paga.
Paga reaches the mass market via a network of microbusinesses and SMEs (moms and pops), agents. The agents are independent retailers who offer Paga services in their local communities.
Paga has been recognized locally and globally and has won or been nominated for a variety of mobile money, payment operator, entrepreneurial and related awards. Most notably selected two years in a row for CB Insights Fintech 250, and Paga’s Founder and Group CEO has been identified as one of the 100 most influential people in Africa.
KEY PAGA FACTS
- 16m unique users
- 26k agents across Nigeria
- 3.5m transactions per month
- US$200m transaction value per month
- 520 staff
- 97% 5-year CAGR on transaction values
- Paga is PCIDSS Level 1 certified
- Notable investors include Acumen Fund, Omidyar Network, Adlevo Capital, Capricorn Investment Group, Goodwell, Global Innovation Fund, Tim Draper, Lord Jim O'Neill (Former Chief Economist of Goldman Sachs who coined the “BRIC” term).
CULTURE AND VALUES
Paga has a "down to earth" environment – we are not a hierarchical company. We believe strongly in the African proverb that says, “if you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together.” Everyone in the company is encouraged to voice their opinions, to challenge any idea with the aim to improve upon it.
As such, we are very focused on Collaboration as a core value. It is together we will achieve our purpose.
Everyone is encouraged to take Ownership – no passing of the buck, no waiting for your boss to tell you what to do, no micromanaging. We want people to act boldly and if they fail it is fine.
We learn and move forward. Our team is laser focused on achieving Results and challenging ourselves to go for more.
Innovation is at the core of our company. We do not believe there is any system that cannot be improved. We seek to solve problems by engaging with our customers who we seek to serve and try to have empathy to see the world from their point of view.
In our business it is vital we hold ourselves to the highest level of Integrity. We see integrity as a zero-sum game and do not take lightly the trust our customers place in us.
LAUNCHING PAGA MEXICO
We are launching our business in Mexico because we see a unique opportunity to leverage our platform and 10+ years’ experience in Nigeria to digitize cash in Mexico and deliver financial services to the mass market.
Mexico is the 15th largest economy in the world and Latin America’s 2nd largest economy. Yet, cash payments represent 82% of consumer transactions in 2018.
There is a significant opportunity to offer digital payments to solve the cash problem in Mexico. Paga is uniquely placed to solve this problem because of our expertise in digitizing mass market; our robust and scalable platform that is already built and is multicurrency, multilingual, and holds any type of account; and we already have a wide array of offerings we can bring to bear in Mexico.
Paga is now building its team in Mexico.
We are starting by building a core team that will lead the establishment of Paga Mexico with the support of their other Paga global counterparts.
Our purpose at Paga is to make it simple for 1 billion people to access and use money. We do that by delivering innovative financial services to the mass market across large, underserved markets.
At Paga we value above all else, Collaboration, Ownership, Results Orientation.
Integrity and Innovation (CORII).
As a Database Engineer at Paga, you will be responsible for working effectively within a team to develop specific components of the software solutions to a high level of quality which is measured in well-structured and thought our code, adherence to software development processes, and level of bug free software. A Paga database engineer is expected to be obsessive about quality and collaboration. A database engineer will also be responsible to support a number of business operations with data mining, report development, and providing support as necessary.
- Working closely with software engineers to implement and review the data-related aspects of new software development.
- Providing data mining, analysis and updates to support business requests or platform issue resolution
Paga’s has a distributed product development team with resources split between Lagos, Nigeria, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and now, Mexico City, so this role comes with the expectation of very strong remote collaboration and self-management skills. There will be the expectation of occasional, but rare (twice a year at most) travel to some of the Paga office locations for training, team events, user-engagement and general market-empathy development.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- A degree in a related discipline
- 1 – 6 years database programming experience
- Agile product development methodology experience
- Excellent SQL programming skills
- Strong knowledge and experience with database performance optimization and optimization application
- Working knowledge of database management concepts
- Strong Microsoft SQL specific applied knowledge
- PostgreSQL applied knowledge a plus
- MySQL specific applied knowledge a plus
- SQL Code Sophistication – Understands database programming concepts, from basic functional up to fairly complex programming constructs/techniques and applies them in their work. Can Implement complex, well-defined functions, scripts, stored procedures and triggers to a high level of quality to support application development.
- SQL Code Performance and Optimization - Is aware of significant database programming performance "smells" and avoids them independently. Considers performance in their implementation and leverages well known methods to produce performant code. Can identify issues related to database performance and provide corrective measures. Can evaluate existing data storage solutions and recommend improvements for performance efficiency
- Testing - Is fastidious about testing query results and testing the impact of potential write operations prior to provision for any production use. Takes pride in the accuracy of their results.
- No-SQL Database Knowledge - Can understand no-sql data source paradigms and implement data queries for no-sql databases. May have working knowledge in one or more common no-sql data stores.
- Abstraction Knowledge – Participates in database design and architecture to support application development projects. Develops rational database tables and dictionary designs
- Code Cleanliness and Organization - Produces clean and well-organized, well-documented code. Effectively documents database products and objects. Is meticulous about in-code comments to support reusable database objects
- Tool/Routine Automation - Is consistent about automating or “tooling” repetitive database engineering tasks to improve long-term productivity and institutionalize activities
- Bug Free Code - Produces bug-free code at a reasonable pace. Doesn't require much time or back-and-forth with testing to produce error-free code.
- Process Adherence & Development - Follows defined development processes with little or no oversight. Works well in an iterative, agile development environment and adheres to processes effectively.
NON-TECHNICAL VALUES & TRAITS
- Scope - Is able to take on specific, well defined, lower-complexity tasks and execute them effectively and to a high level of quality with supervision. May own small to medium features of the system from technical design through to completion with guidance.
- Initiative - Takes the initiative to reach out to superiors and senior peers whenever necessary for support and assistance. Takes initiative to effectively breakdown, prioritize and implement tasks tactically. Takes initiative to improve on design and strategic impact on the areas of responsibility in collaboration with feature stakeholders.
- Follow Through/Scrappiness/Grit/Availability - Sees tasks through to completion, focusing on quality and completeness rather than speed of execution. "Does what it takes" to marshal resources and support to drive tasks to completion efficiently.
- Mastery/Depth of Understanding - Is able to develop a sufficient understanding of the task at hand to execute it effectively. Develops strong, self-sufficient knowledge of a specific area of the system. Understands core system framework enough to be able to use them with minimal supervision. Capable of providing on-call support for areas of the system that they are familiar with. Understands company process and methodology well.
- Business Impact Awareness, Pragmatism - Takes direction effectively to implement tasks per instruction from managers. May make independent sensible design decisions that optimize business value of work. Avoids focusing on unimportant details and excessive bikeshedding.
- Vision & Strategic Perspective - Is able to understand the vision and strategic goals of the organization. Understands current business strategic goals and incorporates them in design and development decisions in an effective way. Demands an understanding of strategic motivations for their work
- Collaboration – Works well in a team environment composed of multiple product development skills. Is courteous, tactful and diplomatic. Responds positively to request for help from internal and external partners. Does his/her share of tasks. Takes on additional work, when asked, to help a colleague out. Keeps people informed of progress on key tasks.
- Ownership & Results Orientation – Demonstrates self-motivation and initiative taking in personal and professional level. Is comfortable with rapid change and is willing to take ownership to deliver results in a high-pressure product development environment. Takes decisive and accurate action to deliver value. Accepts responsibility for outcomes even when elements are not within his/her control, providing a balanced and objective explanation. Supports and encourages others to adopt a constructive attitude to the successful completion of work responsibilities. Share own successes and praise others for motivation. Motivates colleagues through their own enthusiasm and willingness to learn.
- Integrity – Is honest without fail. Treats everyone with respect. Expresses an interest in the way people behave, recognizing the importance of attitudes and motives. Acknowledges the good work of others. Pays close attention to the needs of others.
- Policy Adherence - Keeps up to date with rules and regulations. Applies policies, processes and procedures to daily working. Identifies and proposes solutions for improvements to ways of working.
- Communication – Shares technical and product-specific knowledge with team and company through 1x1 conversations, presentations, and support. Expresses ideas or facts clearly. Good written and verbal communication skills. Promotes two-way communication with others through correct interpretation of messages and appropriate responses. Communicates in a non-threatening way. Shows empathy.
IMPORTANT: Please submit resume in English.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity inclusion. We do not discriminate on grounds of colour, race, nationality, religion, age, ethnic origin, disability, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation in our employment practices.